Saturday, April 20, 2013

Guest Author: Larry Rodness


Write about what you know – not bad advice. Beware of writer’s block – I don’t believe in it. Inspiration can come when you least expect it – absolutely. Sometimes boredom can be your best friend.  Yes!

My newest novel, Perverse was conceived in a moment of utter surprise when a seed took root unexpectedly. It happened during one of those lazy Sunday afternoons when my wife and I were trolling for antiques in a small rural town. Wandering into yet another store, my spouse went rummaging for treasures while I stared blankly at one of the many paintings for sale – you know the kind – a drab sketch of a winter rural scene that featured a pristine blanket of snow that covered an acre or so of woodland, a gnarly, arthritic-looking wooden fence, and an old oak as the central image. 

In one of its fatigued moments or playful moods (I’m not sure which) my mind suggested that what if I looked at the sketch a second time and noticed footprints in the snow that weren’t there before? What if I looked a third time and noticed a person hiding behind that oak?  What kind of person would I expect to find in a scene like this – a farmer perhaps, a huntsman. Who would I not expect to find – a Goth teen. Interesting. How did she get there, what was she doing there, what does she want? No sooner had one question been answered than another popped up in its place until I was compelled to string them into a storyline. However, whenever I asked myself what the next logical plot-point might be, the opposite would shout, ‘pick me, pick me’.  At length the story wound its way through three continents, hundreds of years, and led me toward its own perverse conclusion. Which pleased me greatly.

Perverse

Author: Larry Rodness
Paperback: 356 pages
Publisher: Itoh Press (December 2, 2012)
Language: English
Amazon Link


Kindle Edition
File Size: 534 KB
Print Length: 193 pages
Publisher: Itoh Press (December 31, 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
Amazon Link

Synopsis:


A supernatural fiction about a teenage Goth named Emylene Stipe who finds a charcoal sketch in an antique shop. When she brings it home an image of a young girl appears in the sketch and then materializes in her apartment. Emylene introduces this girl whom she nick-names ‘Poinsettia’, to the local Goth crowd and the two become fast friends. But Poinsettia has an ulterior motive for her sudden and strange intrusion into Emylene’s life which causes the young Goth to question her whole belief system.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails